Sumo.com collected a ton of content marketing analytics to understand how many people read online
And what they learned was shocking:
- Only 20% of readers finished reading an article
- The average visitor would only read 25% of an article
So let’s say you’ve got a giveaway at the end of your article, or a call to sign up to your list. 80% of visitors will never even see your offer!
So what can you do?
- Find out exactly which messages will capture and hold your visitor’s attention. You can do this by asking them, finding the common theme of the answers and opening with that.
- Do content analytics on your site and find out exactly where people are dropping off of your article. Then put your call to action just before this point.
- Place your call to action someplace besides the inside of your article. For example, a popup box or a box in the right-hand column at the top.
- Offer content upgrades throughout the article, not just at the end.
- Make your opening paragraph SING. You know how important your title is. Now realize your opening paragraph is JUST as IMPORTANT. Yeah, I know – no pressure, right?
- Use images throughout your article to keep them reading.
- Attention spans are short, so keep your articles as moving, interesting and engaging as possible.